The type of replacement windows that you choose for your home, such as from http://www.newjerseywindow.com, will ultimately impact your overall costs, the amount of maintenance you are required to perform, and even your home's resale value. This is why it is so important to carefully consider all of the options before making a final decision regarding which windows you wish to install. Below, you can learn more about a couple of the most popular options you will have to choose from.
Option #1: Vinyl Windows
- Affordable - With an average cost of just over $260 to install, vinyl windows are easily the most affordable replacement window option. This can be especially beneficial for individuals who are working with a tight budget or are relying on grant money to cover the cost of their replacement windows.
- Energy Efficient - Unlike many building materials, vinyl is not a conductive material. The reason that this is so important is that this means vinyl windows will never transfer heat into or out of your home. As a result, you will enjoy significantly lower heating and cooling costs after installing your new vinyl windows.
- Easy To Maintain - Vinyl windows do not require any special maintenance. Instead, simply wash your windows whenever they become soiled in order to keep them looking great for many years to come.
- Low Resale Value - Unfortunately, the appearance of vinyl windows is not loved by all. Consequently, the installation of these windows in your home will not result in a large increase in your home's resale value.
- Limited Colors - While a few select manufacturers are now offering vinyl windows in colors other than the traditional white finish associated with these window frames, the color selection that these manufacturers have to offer is still quite limited.
Option #2: Wood Windows
- Traditional Beauty - Solid wood window frames offer a timeless beauty that is appreciated by just about everyone. The traditional nature of these windows also helps to ensure that they compliment the look of any decor or architectural style.
- Easy To Customize - Wood is one of the easiest building materials to customize because it can be cut, drilled, and sanded without sacrificing any of the material's strength. This is an especially important feature for individuals who require custom sized or shaped windows.
- High Resale Value - The universal appeal of wood windows allows for a dramatic increase in your home's resale value after the installation of your new windows is complete. This can be especially important if you plan to sell your home in the near future or wish to take out a home equity loan to complete other home improvement projects.
- High Maintenance - Wood is a porous material that must be maintained on a regular basis in order to avoid moisture related damage. For most homeowners, this will mean sanding and sealing their window frames once a year.
- High Cost - Wood windows are often one of the most expensive options available. This is because wood costs more to harvest and process than man made materials.
The Bottom Line
There are many factors that contribute to what type of replacement windows are right for your home. For instance, if you are currently working with a small budget or are unable to commit to regular maintenance, you will likely find that vinyl replacement windows are your best option. However, if you are looking for a way to maximize the resale value of your home, you may be better served by the installation of wood replacement windows.Share